Baked Chicken on Croutons
The aroma in your kitchen is intoxicating when you make this incredible chicken! Everything goes in one pot. The chicken sits on croutons and the combination of garlic, herbs, lemons and bacon is almost too much to take, then all of those drippings are collected in the croutons!
• 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
• 1 baguette, preferably stale, sliced into 1 inch thick slices
• 1 head of garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
• 1 lemon, sliced
• 2 – 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 2 – 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
• olive oil
• 2 tsp of kosher salt, divided use
• 2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper, divided use
• 4-5 pieces of bacon or prosciutto
Preheat oven to 425°
Start with your croutons, cut the bread into 1 inch slices and place in the bottom of a large heavy roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, season with 1 tsp each of salt and pepper.Place the chicken pieces on top of the bread, breasts in the center, wings on the sides. Sprinkle on the garlic cloves, lemon slices and the rosemary and thyme sprigs. Drizzle on the olive oil, making sure to coat everything. Sprinkle with 1 tsp each of salt and pepper.Bake for 50 minutes. Check occasionally, if the chicken looks dry, drizzle on a little more olive oil. Add more flavor and drape the bacon over the chicken pieces. Bake for about 20 more minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 – 20 minutes. Scrumptious!