Caesar Salad with Maple Bacon
Who doesn’t love Caesar Salad? This one has a little twist with maple bacon. A taste sensation! It’s a complete dinner with homemade croutons and fresh Parmesan.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 – 3 anchovy filets
- 1 Tbs of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs of fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs of red wine vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt plus more for making garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- 6 pieces of bacon
- 1 Tbs of maple syrup for the bacon
- 1/2 of a french baguette, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tbs of butter
- 1 Tbs of olive oil
- a sprinkle of salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 450°
Place 6 pieces of bacon on a rack over a roasting pan, brush with 1 Tbs of maple syrup and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until crispy. Let cool and break into small pieces.
Make the croutons, tear the baguette into bite sized pieces. In a heavy skillet, over medium heat, add the butter and oil, heat until the butter is melted, then add the bread and cook until lightly browned and toasted, about 10 minutes or so. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
For the dressing: I like to whisk the dressing by hand, the extra virgin olive oil is too delicate for a mixer. Smash the garlic, chop up and mix with a little salt, then using the back of your knife, mash into a paste. Do the same with the anchovies.
Place the garlic and anchovies in a salad bowl and add in the remaining dressing ingredients, leaving the oil until last, then pour it in slowly and whisk until well combined.
Wash and remove the outer leaves of the Romaine. Tear into bite sized pieces, place in a large salad bowl and pour the dressing over, toss well. Plate the salad, add the bacon, croutons and top with shaved or grated Parmesan cheese. Bon Appetit!