Another one of Granny’s specialties, takes me right back to childhood! Deliciously Italian! Chicken pieces simmered with onion, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, red wine, tomatoes and herbs! Delicious over spaghetti or polenta!
• 1 whole chicken cut up
• 1 tsp of salt
• 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
• 2 Tbs of olive oil
• 1 large onion, thinly sliced
• 1 large red or green bell pepper, thinly sliced
• 8 oz cremini or button mushrooms, thickly sliced
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/3 cup of bold red wine
• 3 cups of firm ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1- 28 oz can of plum tomatoes, with juices
• 1 tsp of white or brown sugar
• 2 tsp of fresh thyme, chopped (1 tsp if dried)
• 2 tsp of fresh oregano, chopped (1 tsp if dried)
• 2 tsp of fresh basil, chopped (1 tsp if dried)
• 1 tsp of salt
• 1 tsp of pepper
Preheat oven to 350°
Rinse chicken and pat dry, season with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the oil over high heat in large heavy skillet. Working in batches, place the chicken skin side down, cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes, turn and brown other side. Remove and place in a dutch oven. In the same skillet, drain off or add oil as needed, you should have about 2 Tbs total. Add onions, peppers and mushrooms to the skillet and cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, add the chopped garlic, cook 1 more minute.
Add the wine and deglaze, scraping up the bits on the bottom of the skillet. Simmer until reduced by half, (about 10 minutes) add tomatoes and sugar, then add in the herbs, thyme, oregano, basil and salt & pepper. Stir well to combine. Taste, add more salt if needed. Simmer uncovered for 5 more minutes, then carefully pour it over the chicken in the dutch oven. Put the lid on partially. Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour or until chicken is very tender.
Remove from the oven, let it rest for 15 – 20 minutes before serving. Delish!