Fresh Cherry Custard – Clafoutis
A classic French dessert using fresh cherries and a very easy custard. You’ll be surprised how simple this is to make and how really impressive and delicious it is!
Serves 8 – 10
- 1 Tbs of butter for greasing pan
- 2 cups of fresh sweet ( bing) cherries, pitted
- 1 1/4 cups of whole milk, room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of almond extract or a splash of Amaretto
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- powdered sugar for sprinkling on finished custard
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of toasted almonds – optional
Preheat the oven to 350°
Start by pitting the cherries, the easiest way I have found, is to use a sturdy, hard plastic straw and push it through one end and push the pit through the cherry and out of the other end. Sometimes one is stubborn and you have to puncture both ends.Then, grease a 2 qt shallow baking dish or a 10″ cast iron skillet. Place the cherries in the baking dish in a single layer.In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs until incorporated, then add in the vanilla, almond, salt, sugar and flour. Whisk til well combined.Pour this mixture over the cherries.Bake for 45 minutes, then let cool completely before sprinkling on the powdered sugar and almonds.
You may serve this as is or reheat in a 350° oven for just a few minutes and serve with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, delicious either way!