This is my Granny Guerri’s bolognese sauce for lasagna or spaghetti, she hails from Bologna Italy. I grew up on this sauce and I think it is simply the best! You’ll make it forever!
Serves 4 – 6
• 1 Tbs of olive oil or bacon fat
• 1/2 lb of ground beef or veal
• 1/2 lb of ground pork
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 carrot, grated
• 5 – 6 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 large can (28 oz) of whole tomatoes and their juices ( crushed up with your fingers )
• 1 tsp of kosher salt
• 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
• 4 bay leaves
• 1 heaping Tbs of fresh basil, chopped or 1 tsp of dried basil
• 1 tsp of dried oregano
• pinch of red pepper flakes
• 1/2 cup or so of dry red wine (a bold Italian wine)
• 1 Tbs tomato paste
• 2 tsp sugar
• 1/2 – 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a heavy cast iron skillet, over high heat, brown the meats in a little olive oil or bacon fat, until browned. Turn the heat to medium and add onion, carrots and garlic and saute until they just start to soften. Add tomatoes and their liquid, salt, pepper, bay leaves, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, wine, tomato paste and sugar.
Simmer very gently for about 45 minutes. Add in the Parmesan cheese for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.