Mexican Pinto Beans
Outstanding recipe for Mexican pintos, simmered low and slow with a smoked ham hock and a boat load of Mexican flavors! This will surely be a favorite! Serve with my shredded Mexican beef!
Serves 10 – 12
- 2 lbs of dried pinto beans
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with their juices (14.5 oz)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs of chili powder
- 1 Tbs of cumin
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped *optional
Place the dried beans in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat off, cover and let sit for 1 hour, then drain.Add the beans back to the pot with the remaining ingredients, cover partially, cook for 3 hours or until beans are tender. Stirring occasionally. If it looks like you need more liquid, just add a little water.