Molten Lava Cakes with Salted Caramel
Chocolate heaven! Warm, gooey chocolate cake with a salted caramel center, served with whipped cream or ice cream! Just makes you smile! Surprisingly easy to make!
Makes 4 cakes
- 1 Tbs each of butter and cocoa powder for the ramekins
- 6 oz of bittersweet chocolate, chopped (can substitute semi-sweet chocolate)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- splash of vanilla extract
- 4 heaping Tbs of prepared caramel sauce
- kosher salt for sprinkling on caramel
- optional: 1 tsp of Chambord (raspberry liqueur) or Orange liqueur
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Butter 4 (4 inch) ramekins with butter, sprinkle with cocoa powder and shake out the excess.
In a small saucepan, heat the chocolate and butter together over low heat, stir until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour until smooth.In a large bowl, on high speed, beat the eggs with the sugar until well combined and pale yellow.Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and stir gently to combine.Add the vanilla and Chambord or Raspberry liqueur if using. Pour 1/2 cup of chocolate mixture into each ramekin, spoon in 1 Tbs of caramel sauce on top.Sprinkle with salt and top evenly with the remaining chocolate mixture. Chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours, before baking. When ready to serve, preheat your oven to 350 °.
Bake for 12-20 minutes, they should be jiggly in the middle and set around the edges. Let them rest just a few minutes, loosen the edges of the cakes with a knife and invert onto individual plates.Serve immediately with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. You’re in for a real treat!