Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
An absolutely delicious combination! Strawberries and Rhubarb with a crispy, nutty topping! Very easy to put together, the topping can be made ahead and stored in the fridge. Your family will adore this one folks!
Serves 8 – 10
- 3/4 cup of toasted pecans or almonds (toast the nuts in a dry skillet for 5 minutes)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of quick oats
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 cups of strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 3 cups of fresh rhubarb, cut into small chunks
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- turbinado or cane sugar for sprinkling on the finished crisp
Preheat oven to 350°
For the topping: In a medium mixing bowl, add the nuts, flour, oatmeal, sugar and butter. Using a pastry blender or a butter knife, mix until the butter is pea sized and everything is well blended.In a 3 qt baking dish, mix together the strawberries and rhubarb then stir together the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and add it to the strawberries and rhubarb and gently stir til well combined.Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit and bake for 45 minutes. Turn the oven off and turn on the broiler, broil the crisp just until the topping is golden brown. Sprinkle with about 1 Tbs of turbinado sugar or cane sugar.Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!