Stuffed Acorn Squash
Truly amazing flavor! Creamy and savory! I love acorn squash and these guys are stuffed with sausage, kale, onion and a little creamy cheese! A complete beautiful meal!
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds scraped out
- 1 Tbs of olive oil
- 8 oz of Italian sausage, casing removed, may use turkey sausage
- 1/2 of a medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 4 cups of chopped kale
- 1/3 cup of beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/3 cup of panko bread crumbs + 1 Tbs
- 5 oz of cheese such as gruyere, fontina or gouda, cut into small pieces
- olive oil for drizzling on top
Preheat oven to 375°
Place the cut and scraped acorn squash, flesh side down in a baking dish and pour in about an inch of water.Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until tender, remove from the water using a spatula. Set aside. Heat 1 Tbs of oil in a heavy skillet over medium/ high heat and cook the sausage until lightly browned, about 6-7 minutes, then add in the onion, cook for 3-4 minutes, add in the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
Then, add in the kale, the broth and the salt & pepper, cook until the kale wilts and then add in the 1/3 cup of panko and the cheese, stir until well combined.Now, just spoon it into the squash halves, mounding it to fit, sprinkle on the remaining Panko, drizzle with a little olive oil and bake for 15 – 20 minutes. I put it under the broiler for a few minutes to brown it a little more. All done!
Note to cooks: Use your favorite cheese in this recipe, I like fontina or gruyere and I adore smoked gouda, but it doesn’t melt completely, but that’s ok!